Monday, June 14, 2010

Joan & Ed


Hello Loyal Blog Readers and Fans,

I'm going to give you my weekend recap in reverse in order in an effort to keep the bus theme present.

Yesterday, I made the very stupid (yet fun) decision to call up KO (my bus buddy) and ask her to join me for a drink at Cambridge 1 (where I am the loyal fouresquare Mayor). Both of us agreed to have 1 or 2, and then go home to do our laundry and prepare for the Monday of all Monday's. Well, those are famous last words, because 5 glasses of wine later, some delicious mac and cheese, and what were probably the worst pork sliders I've ever had, I found myself waltzing in the door around 7pm...and laundry was the last thing on my mind.

I managed to clean up my room a bit, but I was useless. I didn't make it to the gym this morning, and my Monday started off all out of whack...except I did make the 8:23 bus, which is always a plus.

Anyway, speaking of good food and bad, I found out some very saddening news this weekend. My mother informed me that Joan & Ed's deli, a childhood past time, is going out of business after 33 years!! After hearing that news, (and after bbm conferencing with Tracy and Cooper at the same time) I insisted she immediately take me out to Framingham to experience the glory one last time. Knowing my love for the deli, she obliged.

So sad! Luckily I arrived just in time for the early bird special and was seated within 20 minutes of waiting.

Now for those of who you are familiar with Joan & Ed's you know all of the framed sayings, poems, yiddish-isms, etc they have plastered on the walls. They are SELLING the sayings! Unfortunately, I don't think I was the first to hear the news, because the walls were completely bare. It was a sad sad sight...but the food...was OH. SO. GOOD!

Now seeing that it was potentially my last time at this famed deli, I went big (and then I went home and crrrrrrrrashed!)

For a starter (as always), I got a cup of Matzo Ball soup and the delicious pickles and coleslaw. YUM!


For our meal, we had quite the feast! We shared one #9 John's Jawbreaker (Roast beef, fresh turkey, and swiss cheese with coleslaw and russian dressing). Coleslaw OVERLOAD! We also shared a chicken salad sandwich, one potato pancake, and one meat knish. YUMMO!


I refrained from taking an "after" picture because a) I'm a pig and b) it would have been just empty plates (and you guys know what empty plates look like!)

All in all it was a delicious feast and quite the tribute to my favorite deli (sorry Zaftig's, but Joan & Ed's was there when you just weren't). I love you Joan & Ed's, its been a great 33 years.

xoxo,
GG

3 comments:

  1. I respect you -- but Zaftig's is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want some MBS!!!!! i miss your face. i want to be the one shoving on sunday funday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love this!! Joan and Ed's! So sad! I'm crying!!!!!!! I love that you have a blog. This makes me so insanely happy. You are just as hysterical on here as you are in person. You should have been a writer. LOVE

    ReplyDelete